--->Tara whoa! (cheerupemokid87) wrote,
--->Tara whoa!

  • Mood:
  • Music:
This makes me sick to my stomach...

A Manchester woman was sentenced Monday to 15 years in prison for her role in a traffic accident that claimed the lives of three people.

Carroll Circuit Judge Michael M. Galloway suspended five years of Kathleen McIntyre's sentence and ordered her to complete five years of probation after she is released.

McIntyre, 48, had pleaded guilty to three counts of negligent homicide stemming from the May 2004 accident, when she crashed into a Subaru Legacy station wagon, killing both its passengers.

Assistant State's Attorney David Daggett said McIntyre was driving her 1987 Corvette between 98 and 107 miles per hour.

Shirley Bosley, 70, was transported to Carroll Hospital Center, where she was pronounced dead. Her passenger, Tammy Reindollar, 34, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Bosley had been a caregiver to Reindollar, who was a paraplegic.

Daggett said McIntyre was speeding so she could reach a Westminster department store before it closed. He said investigators determined that her blood alcohol content had been between .09 and .10 at the time of the accident.

The two passengers in McIntyre's car - her daughter Christina and her daughter's friend, Anthony Thomas - repeatedly asked her to slow down, Daggett said.

Both were ejected on impact. Neither was wearing a seat belt.

Thomas died four days later; Christina McIntyre was seriously injured but survived.

Christina McIntyre and her two sisters attended their mother's sentencing, sitting opposite a group of about 20 relatives of the three people who were killed in the accident.

At one point in the hearing, McIntyre turned to her daughter and offered a tearful apology.

Michelle Shimek, McIntyre's defense attorney, said her client had already suffered greatly.

"She will never be able to look at her daughter without knowing the pain that she has caused her physically and emotionally.

"May 19, 2004, is a day that many would like to erase from their memories," Shimek said. "The death and destruction will have an effect on a milieu of people. The ripples will go throughout many lives.

"Nothing done here today will undo the deaths of three people," she said.

At least two victims' family members said they were unhappy with the sentence.

"What can you say?" asked Jean Kirschensteinerm, Anthony Thomas' aunt. "Ten years for three lives? Anthony was a very special kid. He was loved. This should have never happened."

Thomas' sister agreed.

"I don't think anyone is satisfied with the verdict," Tiffany Thomas said. "It's a very bittersweet situation."

Daggett said that the case's unusual circumstances made it hard to fashion an appropriate sentence.

But he said sentencing guidelines suggested a sentence between 18 months and 15 years.

McIntyre cupped her head in one hand and wept silently as members of the victims' families took turns telling the judge about their loss.

She then told the judge that her problems with drug and alcohol addiction began after her husband died of cancer three years before. She said her struggles to support her family while coping with her losses led her on a downward spiral.

"Insanity dominated my life," she said.

Galloway addressed the victims' families after he sentenced McIntyre.

"Sometimes the best medicine for the pain that people are feeling is forgiveness," Galloway said. "That sometimes takes years to come to grips with."

Galloway gave McIntyre the option of applying for a sentence modification in 18 months.

Comments for this post were disabled by the author